31 Questions with Major
1. How much have your friends and families played a part in your career so far?
I couldn’t possibly be this far into my journey without the support & push of my village. My first community I go to for impact testing & honest reaction are the ones who aren’t afraid to keep it real with me.
2. When did you decide that a career in music was for you?
I told my mama at 3 years old I wanted to become an international superstar. Imagine a 3yr old putting those words together... probably sounded more like “a inner-bationul supuhstah”
3. Who are your musical inspirations and why?
Michael Jackson, James Brown, Nat King Cole, & Stevie Wonder... and more but those 4 just GOT it... it was beyond music for them. It was life assignment - to heal the land with every sound.
4. Can you tell me 3 things about yourself that people might not already know?
I waited to drink my first sip of alcohol til I was 21... One drink and I’m done! Lol.
I can fold my tongue into a 3 leaf clover.
I can spit all 50 states in alphabetical order.
5. What song of yours best describes you and why?
From my first EP - “My Future” its all the way my story of doubters never getting the best of me & my sound that sets the people free! From my debut album - “Better With You In It” ALLLLLL day... I love how much doper life is with good people in it!
6. What has been the best gig you have done to date and why?
When I made Halle Berry (yes, thee Halle friggin Berry) cry while singing my song “HONEST” to her. She says the moment “rearranged” her!?! Yo! Halle The Friggin Most Beautifulest Berry! I’ll NEVER forget that moment.
7. If you could perform a gig at any venue where would it be and why?
The Wembley in London ... When I first saw Michael Jackson rock that place, I said I have to get there & do the same!!! Arenas & Stadiums are in “My Future” - just watch!
8. What has been your best achievement to date and what would like to achieve in the future?
Creating & releasing my debut album “Even More” has to be my greatest moment to date. I believe this project will live strong for a very long time. The love, pain, & passion that went into it is beyond any musical project I’ve ever worked on.
9. Tell me a story from backstage or after a gig?
My first time getting mobbed by fans! I had a show with Tyrese, Eric Benét, & Dru Hill in Illinois ... and decided to sit in the audience to watch my RnB big brothers after my set. What was I thinking?!? Folks went wild once they spotted me! I had no idea people cared that much about me. It was incredibly amazing & weird all at the same time. Lol. I said “ladies ladies... we gotta be discreet... we can’t take away from what’s happening on stage. My brother is up there. They replied “he can wait! We’ve seen them before!” Madness! Lol.
10. What do you like best about being a musician and why?
The ability to convey a message from my heart musically with words or no words. The music can get in the crevices of a mind & heart that would otherwise be impossible. I love music!
11. If you were not in the job you are now what would you be doing?
Psychology/Life Coach or Marketing Strategist. I love both a lot.
12. What has been the best gig you have been to as a fan and can you tell us about it?
I toured with PJ Morton (also a member of Maroon 5) on his Gumbo Tour & every night as soon as I left the stage after my set I ran to my usual spot in the audience and watched, sang, & studied the whole time. He’s a live show killer!
I can’t wait to experience Cold Play & Bruno Mars Live in person tho!!!
13. What would your ideal festival line up be and why?
MAJOR. CHARLIE PUTH. ED SHEERAN. CHANCE The RAPPER, & BRUNO MARS!!!
I love these guys... they are stage killers & musical beasts!
14. What would you say is the best piece of advice you have ever been given?
Be true to YOU. The true YOU is the GREATEST YOU. And will WIN every time in due time!
15. What things make you happy and what things annoy you?
Good food, water, seeing people win, & making money. Negative people annoy the heck outta me. Shut that crap down & find a smile.
16. What things do you like to do when you are away from music?
Eat good food, google/YouTube interesting stuff, shop for cool stuff, & sleeeeeep!
17. Do you think social media and the internet are a good thing in the music industry and how do you cope with using social media to build a profile in music?
Social media has definitely become a huge asset to the musical creatives who would otherwise be kept a distance from the “industry gate keepers”. It’s a free space to put out what you want when you want. But that can be dangerous all at the same time... once it’s out there, it’s out there. It has helped me in many ways especially when a performance or track of mine goes viral from someone digging what I do!
18. How important do you think you look and image is when it comes to being in the music industry?
Image is huge. If you don’t look the part you likely won’t get the part. People believe what they see. Have intention & commit in excellence... they’ll thank you for giving them something dope to see before they hear how dope you are!
19. Can you tell us about any tattoos have and the significance of them to you?
HOPE. This year on my birthday, I broke past my safe zone and got HOPE tatted on my arm. It’s designed to where it looks like hope is pumping in my veins. As one who is called the HOPE DEALER (thanks to Billy Johnson of Yahoo! Music) I had to etch a reminder to get my fix on the very thing I deal out
20. If you run the country for a day what would you change about it and why?
I would make a daily law that requires people to sit & communicate with each other. To learn knew perspectives outside of their own. Conversation breeds Understanding. Understanding breeds real Community
21. What would your ideal day consist of?
Waking up to sunshine. A good simple prayer. Breakfast prepared for me. A swim & massage. A creative session or performance. A nice meal. Then Netflix & chill til I fall asleep
22. Can you tell me as much as you can about the new album from producing it maybe something about the meanings behind some of the tracks and what we can expect?
My debut album “Even More” executive produced by mega producer Harmony “HMoney” Samuels & the BOE squad is a global masterpiece. Every song is laced in simple sweet melody, intentional lyric to inspire, & a vibe that'll sit with you strong. I had the pleasure of working with amazing writers & producers from Joe Sumner (the son of Sting) who is a beast in his own right, Varren Wade (Janet Jackson, Ella Mae, etc), Lauren Evans (Jordin Sparks, etc.) & JV The Producer (Janet Jackson, etc). This was created to inspire & help heal the hearts of a hurting land.
23. If you could say one thing to your fans what would it be and why?
Thank you, beautiful people. For seeing, hearing, and riding with me.
24. How would you answer the questions who is Major and what are the differences between Major the music act and you away from music?
I’d start by saying: “it’s MAJOR. with all caps & a period. And what you see is what you’ll get. I’m MAJOR. on & off the stage. TRUTH has always been the safest way to flow & grow for me!
25. What was the first record or song you purchased and why?
My mama bought me a Whitney Houston cd & it was goooooood. Whitney is the vocal performer STANDARD. Man or woman, you must learn from her greatness.
26. What would say to someone thinking about becoming a musician and getting into the music industry?
If you can do it & love it well with no pay, then you should pursue it. If it’s just for a check or fame, then find another hobby.
27. If you could collaborate with any other band/singer or musician who would you choose and why?
Bruno Mars, Cold Play, Beyoncé, Kanye, Chance The Rapper, or Adele! I don’t have to explain - the world knows how dope they are! A collab would be MAJOR!!!
28. If you could have written one song from history which would it have been and why?
Wonderful World. One of the greatest songs EVER made!
29. What things make you uncomfortable?
Watching people eat cereal, soup, or ice cream. Dirty or clearly used clothes at resale shops. Watching a person do something obviously wrong and not being able to fix it myself. That all makes me uncomfortable.
30. If you wrote a book about yourself what would it have in it?
A book about MAJOR. would have the highs the lows... the wins and the no’s.
31. What has the rest of year got in store for you?
Tour, TV/Film, & hopefully a grammy nomination!