Stratton 5 Interview
1. When did you decide that a career in music was for you?
The founding band members were on a school music tour in Switzerland when we decided it would be really cool to start a band and write and perform music together. We are all 16 years old and have just started out.
2. Who are your musical inspirations and why?
Our vocalist: Badflower and Nirvana.. the list goes on. These bands have really inspired us on how we write music. Our guitarist: John Mayer because he's a phenomenal guitar player Our keyboard player: the band Toto because they are such great musicians and play so tight together live. Our drummer: Stevie Wonder because he makes jazz sound really good his music is totally unique.
3. Can you tell me 3 things about yourself that people might not already know?
a) our drummer is Spanish, b) our guitarist is half American and has played a gig in New Orleans c) We are a self produced band
4. If you could perform a gig at any venue where would it be and why?
Obviously Glastonbury as it has such a fantastic vibe, and it would be the pinnacle of your music career especially for British musicians.
5. What has been your best achievement to date and what would you like to achieve in the future?
We've won two online competitions, one of which had a prize of playing a live gig. For the future we want to release our debut album by the end of the year.
6. What do you like best about being a musician and why?
Being able to record and perform music with your mates and play live. Also being creative and expressing yourself musically.
7. What has been the best gig you have been too as a fan and can you tell us about it.
Our vocalist: Seeing Badflower live was really cool, the way they set the mood throughout was awesome. Our guitarist: Muse at the O2 was awesome. Their live show was amazing and they were really tight even playing live. Our keyboard player and bass player: We both saw Bon Jovi at Wembley Stadium. It was really cool to see them play live and the atmosphere was amazing!
9. Do you think social media and the internet are a good thing in the music industry? It’s good and bad. Good because you can reach literally millions of people relatively easily and can release your music immediately. But bad because everyone else is doing the same thing so you have a lot of competition. Also with regards to streaming, artists/bands tend to get payed minuscule amounts, and so have to rely on touring to make an income, which is a shame for a lot of artists/bands.
10 What has been your experience during the Covid 19 situations. Can you tell us how this has affected you personally, how it has affected you professionally and maybe a story from this time or a message for people out there?
At first it put quite a big dent in our future plans as a band since all of the gigs we were due to play got cancelled. So we had to concentrate on recording which was not possible during total lockdown but once we could socially distance outside, we managed to do some record some of our songs, which was a relief. This has meant we have made a lot more progress towards making our debut album. We managed to release 2 singles whilst in lockdown and 2 music videos for those singles. Our message would be just keep trying, you'll usually find a way, especially where music is concerned.
11, If you could say one thing to your fans what would it be and why?
Huge thanks for your support and helping us on our way. It really motivates us when we get good feedback from our fans and when people follow us.
12. How would you answer the question ..... Who are Stratton 5 and what are the differences between you as a music artist and you away from music?
We have one of the most unique sounds out there at the moment, with the fantastic female vocals and with the addition of keyboards too. We all have a huge range of different musical influences which make our sound unique. 12. If you could collaborate with any other band/singer or musician who would you choose and why? Radiohead - they are really bold and march to the beat of their own drum which we really respect.
13. What has the rest of the year got in store for you?
Apart from finishing recording songs for our debut album, we've got a lot of potential gigs lined up and we really want to get out and start playing live.