Ultra Violence Interview
When did you decide that a career in music was for you?
- When I was 13 and I got my first guitar, I instantly knew that I wanted to do something more than just fooling around.
Who are your musical inspirations and why?
- Old and new thrash metal bands plus some unique bands like Revocation and Sylosis.
Can you tell me 3 things about yourself that people might not already know?
- I'm addicted to band t-shirts.
- I listen to a lot of mainstream rock/metal.
- I'm more passionate about drums than guitar.
What song of yours best describes you and why?
- “Cadaver Decomposition Island” from our latest album. Because it's the sum of almost all my musical influences and the lyrics contain my thoughts about life and death.
What has been the best gig you have done to date and why?
- Metalitalia.com Festival in Milan, Italy. Because we shared the stage with Testament and Exodus.
If you could perform a gig at any venue where would it be and why?
- Razzmatazz in Barcelona, Spain. Because we played there with Angelus Apatrida and it was amazing.
What has been your best achievement to date and what would like to achieve in the future?
- Touring Japan has been great. We'd really like to tour America in the future.
Tell me a story from backstage or after a gig?
- There are a lot of funny moments every time we hit the road. The first one that comes to my mind is from one month ago. We were gonna play “Cadaver Decomposition Island” live for the first time, so we did a little rehearsal in the backstage before going on stage and our drummer Frullo sang the guitar solo, you can find the video on our Instagram page. It's stupid I know, but everything becomes 10 times funnier when we're together.
What do you like best about being a musician and why?
Traveling and getting to know different people and cultures around the world.
If you were not in the job you are now what would you be doing?
I'd probably be working in a recording studio as a sound engineer.
What has been the best gig you have been to as a fan and can you tell us about it?
- The latest Trivium show I've been to has been great. Because I love the band's new album and they're amazing musicians and performers.
What would your ideal festival line up be and why?
- Well, there are festivals with a 160 bands line up and I could easily fill all the slots with bands that I'd like to see live.
What would you say is the best piece of advice you have ever been given?
- If you want something, do it yourself.
What things do you like to do when you are away from music?
- Training, watching TV shows, playing board games like “RisiKo”.
Do you think social media and the internet are a good thing in the music industry and how do you cope with using social media to build a profile in music?
- I think they're good and I do my best to keep up with the trends in order to promote our music in an effective way.
How important do you think you look and image is when it comes to being in the music industry?
- Well, I think it's very important but not as much as the music, at least for metal.
Can you tell us about any tattoos have and the significance of them to you?
- I have a black tattoo on my left arm. It's a silhouette of Alex DeLarge from the cover art of our debut album “Privilege To Overcome”.
What would your ideal day consist of?
- My ideal day would be on the road during a tour, so it would probably be all about traveling, making new friends, hanging with my bandmates, sound checking, playing a show and having fun.
Can you tell me as much as you can about Operation Misdirection?
- It's the last chapter of an album trilogy and it contains the best and most mature songs we've ever wrote plus a Dire Straits cover.
If you could say one thing to your fans what would it be and why?
- Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and for enjoying our music.
How would you answer the questions who are Ultra Violence?
- They are 4 friends who want to play the music they love and have fun.
Can you tell me one thing about each member that people might not already know?
- Andrea (guitars): he's an awesome singer and he's very close to having perfect pitch.
- Lorenti (bass): he's an amazing cook and he's a luthier. He build his own basses and they look and sound great.
- Frullo (drums): he's 38 years old even though he looks a lot younger and he teaches music/drums in a school.
What was the first record or song you purchased and why?
- “Adrenalina” by an Italian punk rock band called Finley. Because I loved that band when I was a kid.
What would say to someone thinking about becoming a musician and getting into the music industry?
- Do it only if you think your music is really good and you're very motivated and focused or you'll end up wasting your time and money.
If you could collaborate with any other band/singer or musician who would you choose and why?
- I don't know, I have so many idols in music. I really hope to meet at least half of them in my life.
If you could have written one song from history which would it have been and why?
- Probably a Metallica song. I don't know which one to choose.
What things make you uncomfortable?
- Trying to explain what I do in my life to people outside the music business or the metal scene in general.
If you wrote a book about yourself what would it have in it?
- 90% of it would be about Ultra-Violence for sure.
What has the rest of year got in store for you?
- We're gonna promote the new album and we hope to play as much shows and festivals as possible.